skip to Main Content

Advocacy is when someone supports you to express your wishes, or speaks on your behalf, to help you get the support and assistance you are entitled to.

If you are having substantial difficulty in understanding our care and support planning processes then you can ask your family, friend or neighbour to speak on your behalf if they are happy to represent your views. If this is not possible then, you may be eligible for advocacy. A social worker will ensure you can access a specialist advocate if this is required under the Mental Health Act or in relation to mental capacity.

In Cambridgeshire and Peterborough all commissioned statutory and local authority funded non-statutory advocacy services are delivered by a new partnership of specialist advocacy organisations and co-ordinated through one central team.  The service is called Total Voice and brings together advocates from VoiceAbility, Cambridgeshire Deaf Association and NYAS.

Services they can offer include:

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)

Care and Support Advocacy (Care Act)

Community Advocacy

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMCA)

NHS Complaints Advocacy

Advocacy in Private Care Settings

Transforming Care

Supporting someone to move out of an Assessment and Treatment Unit

When contacting the service, they will be able to talk to you about your situation and will help you to access an advocate.  People who contact Total Voice who are not eligible will be assisted to make contact with relevant local support services.

How to contact Total Voice

Referral Helpline 0300 222 5704   Email
Address Total Voice Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
C/O VoiceAbility
The Old Granary
Cambridgeshire, CB24 3AR


A range of other advocacy services may be available for people to use outside the local authority funded scheme.

Back To Top
Translate »
Skip to content