skip to Main Content

What Happens Next?

The local authority (Children’s Services) must take all reports (or Referrals) seriously.

This summarises the procedures that will be followed.

All Referrals will be considered by a Social Worker in Children’s Services, and an may be conducted.

It may be necessary to take immediate action to protect you or the child(ren) involved, in extreme circumstances. This can result in children being temporarily cared for by a Foster Carer. If this happens to you and your brothers and sisters, you’ll usually be cared for by the same foster carers.

If it looks like abuse has happened or might happen, the social workers and others, like teachers or the Police, will hold a meeting called a to decide whether a Child Protection Enquiry is necessary (see the next stage).

If a Child Protection Enquiry has started, this will involve a Social Worker and the Police assessing the concerns or allegations, the Child(ren) and Parents will be involved in this process.

At the end of the Child Protection Enquiry, an Child Protection Conference will be conducted, chaired by an Independent Manager. You might be invited to this meeting.

You should be provided with information about what is happening, and given the chance to have your say and ask questions. Your children, if they are old enough and capable of understanding, should be kept informed and involved.

Only in exceptional circumstances should this right be withdrawn e.g. where involving you might increase the risk of harm to your child.

If you feel you haven’t been properly informed or involved, seek advice from a Solicitor, Peterborough Citizens Advice Bureau or you can contact us and make a Complaint

Peterborough Citizens Advice Bureau
16-17 St Marks Street,

Telephone number:
0344 499 4120

03003300650 from mobiles

Back To Top
Translate »
Skip to content