The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) helps people in England and Wales to stay in control of decisions about their health and finance and make important decisions for others who cannot decide for themselves.
They do this by:
- helping people plan for someone to make decisions for them, should they become unable to do so because they do not have mental capacity
- supporting people to make decisions for those that do not have the ability to decide for themselves
They are responsible for:
- taking action where there are concerns about an attorney, deputy or guardian
- registering lasting and enduring powers of attorney, so that people can choose who they want to make decisions for them
- maintaining the registers of attorneys, deputies and guardians
- supervising deputies and guardians appointed by the courts, and making sure they carry out their legal duties
- looking into reports of abuse against registered attorneys, deputies or guardians
A lasting power of attorney (LPA) is a legal document that lets you (the ‘donor’) appoint one or more people (known as ‘attorneys’) to help you make decisions or to make decisions on your behalf.
This gives you more control over what happens to you if you have an accident or an illness and cannot make your own decisions (you ‘lack mental capacity’).
There are 2 types of LPA: Health & Welfare, and Property & Financial Affairs
Health and welfare
Use this LPA to give an attorney the power to make decisions about things like:
- your daily routine, for example washing, dressing, eating
- medical care
- moving into a care home
- life-sustaining treatment
Property and financial affairs
Use this LPA to give an attorney the power to make decisions about money and property for you, for example:
- managing a bank or building society account
- paying bills
- collecting benefits or a pension
- selling your home
Office of the Public Guardian’s lasting power of attorney campaign
The Office of the Public Guardian’s (OPG) lasting power of attorney (LPA) campaign promotes the importance and benefits of making an LPA. The campaign also clears up some of the myths around LPAs. Click on the pictures below for full-sized versions of the campaign posters and leaflets.